BThere is a direct link between overweight or obesity and arterial hypertension (HTA), a disease that affects 42.6% of the Portuguese adult population and about 35-40% of the European population, PronoKal recalls in a statement at the World Celebration. Hypertension Day, celebrated on May 17th.
Hypertension is characterized by excessive blood pressure in the arterial walls above normal values, which is chronic. According to PronoKal, hypertension is defined as a maximum pressure greater than or equal to 14 or a minimum pressure greater than or equal to nine.
But in the end, who is more likely to develop HTA?
- Blood pressure tends to rise with age;
- Before the age of 45, it seems to be more common in men as well. However, from the age of 65, women are at greatest risk;
- Obesity is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. In addition to being at higher risk of developing high blood pressure, obese people tend to have higher cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and are more likely to have diabetes and heart problems, among other problems;
- A high-calorie, high-fat, low-nutrient diet is harmful to health and promotes the development of cardiovascular disease. It is known that a high salt diet is also an important risk factor for high blood pressure. Because its excessive use, by increasing the sodium content of body fluids, promotes water retention and thus leads to an increase in blood pressure;
- A sedentary lifestyle is strongly associated with an increased risk of obesity, high blood pressure and heart disease. Therefore, it is important that you continue to live an active life and exercise often.
Therefore, a balanced diet and a healthy weight are important to prevent and control hypertension, and it is essential to start losing weight even for those who are overweight or obese, ”PronoKal emphasizes.
Also read: Stroke. The most common warning signs of this race against time
News by the Minute nominated for Marketeer Awards
THE News in a minute is one of the candidates for the 2022 edition Marketer Awardsclass digital media. Voting time is until May 31.
Help us win by visiting the magazine’s initiative website marketerby clicking hereand click to continue filling out the form News in a minute category digital media and then formalizing the vote. Thank you for choosing!
Always be the first to know.
Sixth consecutive year Consumer Choice and Five Star Award for Online Press.
Download our free app.